What Is Alopecia?
All of us have hair on top and back of our heads. When this hair starts disappearing it is called alopecia, hair loss or baldness. Usually the hair grows at the rate of 6 inches per year. Hair which we see are composed of dead keratin cells which are pushed outwards by the new cells produced by the hair follicles. An adult head has around 100,000 hairs. We naturally loose around 100 hairs per day which are naturally replaced all the time. So, if we find some hairs on the pillow or hairbrush it does not mean that we suffer from alopecia or baldness.
Causes of Alopecia
- Genetic Predisposition: Genes From Our Parents Influence Our Tendency To Have Male Or Female Pattern Baldness.
- Severe Illness.
- Iron Deficiency.
- Following Child Birth.
- Extreme Stress.
- General Anesthesia.
- High Fever And Typhoid.
- Thyroid Dysfunction.
- Hormonal Imbalance.
- Medical Treatments Like Chemotherapy Used In Cancer, Anticoagulants, Beta-Adrenergic Blockers Used To Control Blood Pressure, Oral Contraceptives And Retinoids Used In Treatment Of Acne And Skin Diseases.
- Scalp Injuries.
- Chemicals Used In Products To Dye Hair, Bleach, Perm Hair, Purify Swimming Pools.
- Shampoos And Conditioners Do Not Treat Baldness But Overusing Them Actually Causes Dryness Of Scalp And Hair. All Shampoos Are Just Scented Detergents With Lathering Agent; Even The Ones Which Are Called Natural, Herbal Or Vitamin Enhanced. One Should Not Shampoo Every Day Because They Dry Up The Natural Oil Of The Hair Which Is Very Important. Washing Hair Twice A Week Is More Than Enough. Also Dilute The Shampoo Before Using Because They Are Too Concentrated. Shampoos And Conditioners Just Clean The Hair And Nothing More; They Do Not Treat Alopecia Or Baldness.
- Proper Brushing Is Very Important As It Distribute The Hair's Natural Oil. It Would Do More For The Long-Term Health Of Your Hair And Scalp Than Wasting Money On Haircare Products. Start With 10 To 20 Strokes A Day And Try To Work Up To 100. Be Gentle And Avoid Brushing When Your Hair Are Wet.
- Yoga Helps In Relaxation Of Stress Which May Be A Factor In Some Cases Of Hair Loss.
- A Balanced Diet Including Fruits And Vegetables Should Be A Norm.
- Try To Avoid Hot Curlers, Hair Dryers, Hair Straightening, Bleaches And Cosmetics Filled With Chemicals Eventually Result In Broken, Dry And Thinning Of Hair. People Who Leave Their Hair In Natural Texture And Color Are Better Off. Why Put Stress On Your In Pursuit Of Beauty.
- Massage Your Hair With Essential Oil Of Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis).
- Rinse Your Hair With Tea Made From Sage (Salvia Officinalis).