What Is Obesity
You will gain weight if you consume more calories than you burn. An overweight or obese adult is determined by body mass index (BMI) which is defined as follows: Weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters or as weight in pounds multiplied by 705 and then divided twice by height in inches. A BMI of between 25 and 29.9 indicates that an individual is overweight, whereas an obese adult has a BMI of 30 or higher. Another way to determine obesity is that if you are weighing 20% more than your ideal body weight, you are considered obese or overweight. Your ideal weight is based on age and gender.
Causes of Obesity
- Poor Diet.
- Thyroid Disorders.
- Insufficient Exercise.
- Sedentary Lifestyle like Watching TV.
- Drinking Alcohol.
Certain Drugs Like Estrogens, Progestin's, Insulin And Steroids Have Weight Gain As Their Side Effect.
- Dangers of Obesity
- Enlargement of Liver Due To High Fat Content.
- Extra Weight Puts A Lot Of Pressure On Heart And Peripheral Vascular System And Usually Lead To High Blood Pressure And Heart Disease.
- Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Can Be Triggered By Even Moderate Rise In Fat.
- Colorectal Cancer and Breast Cancer Has Been Associated With Obese People.
- Respiratory Problems Are Also Aggravated By Excessive Weight Gain.
- Consult a Doctor If
- Your obesity is associated with menstrual troubles, drop in libido or male pattern hair distribution.
- Diet, Nutrition & Prevention
- One Should Eat 3 Or 4 Moderate Meals Per Day And Day Meal Should Be The Main Because If The Dinner Is Heavy It Would Be Less Easily Absorbed And Digested.
- Diets Are Actually Not Recommended Because Then You Have To Fast Or Deprive Yourself Which Would Eventually Make You Unhealthy And You Would Gain More Weight Than Before Afterwards.
- You Must Not Reward Yourself With Food.
- High-Fiber and Low-Fat Diet Is Recommended. It Should Be A Balanced Diet with Complex Carbohydrates Such As Pasta And Potatoes, Chicken, Fish, Plenty of Vegetables and Fruits.
- Sedentary Habits Like Watching TV Should Be Abandoned.
- Start Playing Some Sport Or Have Some Regular Exercise Routine.
- Drink Lots of Water At least 10 Glasses per Day Instead Of Soft Drinks and Juices.
- Stop Smoking Because It Affects The Storage Of Fat Leading To More Deposition In The Waist Area.
- Alcohol Should Be Moderate.
Home Remedies for Obesity
- Craving For Sweets Can Be Reduced By Having 1 To 2 Tsp Of Brewer's Yeast Or Some Dandlion.
- You Can Increase Your Metabolism With Bee Pollen Or A Dash Of Cayenne (Capsicum Frutescens).